Our Team of Instructors*
Barb started swimming the same time she began to walk! She swam competitively starting at age 7 and competed throughout high school. She started teaching swim lessons to children and adults while studying business and human resource management at The Ohio State University. After working in corporate America for a number of years, she returned to college at West Chester University and completed her teaching certification in Health and Physical Education. She has been teaching swim lessons to a diverse clientele in the Doylestown, Bucks County, and Montgomery County areas since 2007. Her credentials include:
- Water Safety Instructor (WSI)
- Certified Adapted Physical Educator, Adapted Aquatics Instructor
- Certified Red Cross, Lifeguard
- Aquatic Director, Fanny Chapman Swim Pools
- US Swimming Stroke and Turn Official
- Assistant Coach, Central Bucks West Girls Swimming and Diving Team
- Certified teacher of Health, Physical Education, Elementary Education and Special Education
- MEd., Elementary Education and Special Education, Chestnut Hill College
- BS, Kinesiology, West Chester University
- BS, Business Administration, The Ohio State University
Barb’s motto when teaching is “be safe, have fun!”. Her goal is to share her joy of swimming with her students, and offer swim lessons that are motivating, challenging and fun. In her spare time, she enjoys spending time and exercising with friends and family, and playing with her dog Zoey!
Katherine was a true competitive swimmer! She comes from a family of All American swimmers, having trained at Germantown Academy Aquatic Club and LESD & Hawken School swimming programs. Starting at age 6, she swam competitively through her first year of college at Miami University in Oxford Ohio, qualifying for states 2 years in high school. She grew up as a certified lifeguard and Water Safety Instructor and continued to teach swim lessons throughout her years as a stay at home mom & freelance artist. Her experience includes:
- BA in Fine Arts, Miami of Ohio
- Aquatics Manager, Fanny Chapman Swimming Pools
- Aquatics Instructor, Bucks County YMCA
Katherine’s main philosophy for teaching swimming is that it must be FUN! She uses play when teaching children and meaningful analogies with adults to make swimmers feel comfortable and to develop trust. Once swimmers are comfortable with her and the water, stroke instruction can begin. Katherine wants her swimmers to learn invaluable water skills, as well as enjoy swimming throughout their lives.
She finds joy in spending time with her husband, family and friends, doing photography, gardening, hiking & being creative. Much of her time is spent now following her children in their college competitive sports and musical activities, and teaching new swimmers her love of the sport!
After 20 plus years of working and teaching in general dentistry, Cindy took an early retirement and is now making use of her spare time to help as Business Manager at KickSmart Swimming.
In addition to swimming, Cindy enjoys writing, hiking, and reading a good book by the beach.
“If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water.” – Loren Eiseley
Jade Van Gilder
Jade is a Montgomery County resident and proud mother of 2 young ISR graduates. After watching her own children become skilled swimmers, a passion for ISR, water safety and drowning prevention was born. Formerly an elementary school teacher, she trained in 2019 and is now a certified ISR Instructor working to aid in the mission that “not one more child drowns”.
When not teaching Self-Rescue, she enjoys the beach, traveling, biking, camping, kayaking, and volunteering in her children’s schools.
All KickSmart Swimming Instructors have the following certifications and clearances:
- Certified Red Cross, CPR and First Aid
- Department of Human Services Child Abuse History Clearance
- Pennsylvania State Police Request for Criminal Records Check
- Federal Criminal History Record Information